For the people, by the people.
- We must ensure fiscal responsibility and a balanced budget.
- Our state budget must not only be transparent, but also easy to access and understand.
- Priority must be given to the voice of all the citizens, not corporations or private/special interests.
- Civic engagement must be inspired and supported, not hindered and divisive.
- We must demand the end of secret, closed-door meetings with private donors.
Public schools first.
- Public funds need to stay with public schools.
- Teachers should be paid at least the national average.
- Teachers must be allowed to advocate for our children with no fear of retaliation.
- Our legislature needs to put the floodlights on the high number of homeless children in our public schools. Onslow County currently has over 200.
ADDICTION & MENTAL HEALTH
Breaking the stigmas.
- Our legislature must stop brushing MH/SA/IDD issues under the rug.
- We must stop efforts to shut down detox and psychiatric facilities.
- Onslow County must be included in the NC Drug Treatment Court program, and should never have been excluded in the first place.
- Our state can do better at helping veterans in crisis.
SUPPORT THE CAMPAIGN!
DONATIONS ARE USED FOR IN-HOUSE PRINTING AND TO SUPPORT VOLUNTEERS IN THE FIELD.
"They were in shock and couldn't believe that there stood a soon-to-be politician who actually wants to work across aisles and solve problems. The mother's response: "You know - you're the first Democrat I've ever met that actually makes sense."
"The bigger part of the session was a grassroots movement training by Dan from his community organizing part of college. Volunteers got to understand what grassroots movements are, why they are important, and how they are executed..."
"Where is the special session being called to address the addiction and mental health crisis here in Onslow and across the state? Or for the lack of support for suicidal veterans?"
"As leaders we should be on the forefront of problems, not way back here playing around with being reactive. We should be proactive and that ball was dropped a long time ago."
WHAT VOTERS ARE SAYING ABOUT DAN
"First, let me say that I am a life-long Republican and don't agree with a lot of liberal stances. I met Dan at the Taking Back the Ferry rally in Sneads Ferry, and what won me over was I could hear his genuine passion for people battling addiction and mental health, and when he spoke, he actually gave everyone there useful info and resources. His opponent, who I voted for in all of his past races, lost me when he said that he had a drug problem when he was younger, and that was his mother drug him to church. How disrespectful. Dan actually sat with the people and was not there to campaign as an opportunity for votes like his opponent, who has done nothing for addiction and mental health. Dan Whitten has my vote in 2016 because he shows common sense and is educated, and frankly doesn't care about parties. He's a true public servant."
"My mother got laid off from her job, and because she doesn't have the best computer or internet skills, it was hard for her to find a job. We are also a Latino family, and she speaks mostly Spanish. I met Dan at the restaurant I work at and told him about my mother. The next day, Dan came by and took my mother and me to the unemployment office, showed her the basics of how to use the computer, and how to apply for jobs online. I have never seen any politician do something like that. My mother was able to get a bilingual job in healthcare all thanks to Dan helping her overcome barriers, and taking the time to not just talk, but walk-the-walk."
"Coming back from Iraq I was diagnosed with PTSD and started drinking heavily. My wife and I had been trying to get me into a PTSD program with the VA for over a year with no success, and I ended up in the ER at Onslow which is where I met Dan. Even though he got in trouble for spending too much time with a patient, he actually sat down and listened to me, and not just audibly. Because of Dan's proactive work, he got me into a residential PTSD program in Salusbury, NC in one day. As a die-hard Republican, I'm behind Dan 100% because he puts his feet where his mouth is and supported my family and me, and I've been clean since 2014."